Monday, April 30, 2012

The 'Not-Bummer-Summer' is Upon Us

I love that title...






One of the things on our to-do list (mine and the girls') is to see this movie. It looks like a fun time and Heather Graham is absolutely adorable, imo.

Anyway, as I sat down to write this entry this is the title that popped to mind. Summer is fast approaching. School is almost at year's end. It is time to start planning our 'not-bummer-summer'. If you are a parent then you know the pressure that comes with trying to keep from having utterly bored children under your feet all summer. I mean, sure, there are times when they are absolutely expected to entertain themselves. However, things are not like they were when I was a kid. I can not (in good conscience) tell my kids to beat it and not come back til' dinner! There are too many wackjobs in the world today and things just are not as safe for our kids to just go roam off in search of something to keep them busy.

A couple weeks ago, Girl-14 (soon to be 15) and her bff (going forward, known as Bff-14) took a ride with me to the shore. It was a lovely day for it and I got some great pictures.






Nothing soothes me quite like the ocean breeze and the sound of the waves rolling in. Granted, the beaches near me do not have much in the way of big waves...more like waves lapping the shore than crashing on it. That is ok by me! It sounds just as wonderful.

Like last year, we are planning to revisit the tradition known as 'beach Mondays'. I will likely alternate between Harvey's Beach, which is GREAT for very small children, and Rocky Neck for the bigger kids. Hubz will have to be present for the bigger beach because it is exhausting chasing Lil'Man all day! I swear all I see is the back of that boy's head from the moment we arrive until I manage to get him into the car to go home.

Other activities will include Day trips to The Dinosaur Place, which has a great nature walk full of huge dinosaurs and an awesome splash pad for the kids to cool off. Other destinations on our list include Mystic Aquarium, Lake Compounce or Six Flags, the Essex Steam Train and some local museums such as the West Hartford Science Center. Between these activities and being able to swim in our next-door-neighbor's pool, I think that the kiddos will have little to complain about...though I am sure it will not be for lack of trying!

I, of course, will have my camera in tow and will be posting a ton of pics throughout the summer. Hope you all enjoy your families this summer! Take some time to marvel at the little ones as they explore and grow. They grown up in the blink of an eye.

Have a blessed day!





No comments:

Post a Comment